Jeez-o-Pete! What a crazy week. I tried to explain to Tory Stewart of the Winter’s Bone team that I’d been extremely busy, as in meeting myself at every turn. Only the expression I used, which is common in the Ozarks, was “busy as a one-armed Paper-hanger. Well, I forgot she was from New York, and the expression totally confuzzled her. She thought, since the laundromats there offer clothes hangers made of paper, I was referring to a broken hanger, and she couldn’t quite get how that would be busy. But then she looked up the expression and issued a city slicker alert. In case you’re not getting it yet, I was referring to a [wall] PA-per hanger, not a paper HANG-er. As to why an idiom for busy refers to lost appendages, I have no idea, but it’s right up there with “Busy as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest.” Where do we get this stuff, anyway?
Listen to Hot New Tunes from my Latest Release
- Latest Audio of “These Ozark Hills”
- Upcoming Schedule
- Come Sit a Spell
- Empty Doors – Marideth Sisco and Accomplices
- This New Album – Empty Doors
- These Ozark Hills; August 2016
- Fundraiser for Carolyn Colbert
- These Ozark Hills – July 2016
- These Ozark Hills, June 2016
- “Come Set a Spell” Gearing up to Restart!
You can get it here, now
Looking for something?
“In These Ozark Hills” CD
These Ozark Hills -the book
Storyteller Marideth Sisco Now Booking